Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Why should I share my creativity?

In sharing my creativity what do I, as an artist, get out of it? Colleagues have actually told me that I am being very foolish by posting full length clips of my film, 'The Blood Cries Out', on YouTube. Why would people buy my video when they can see it for free? I used to think that way. The realization then dawned on me that people would never buy my film if they had never heard of it or seen any of it. As an independent artist, I don't have the luxury of a having a record label or movie studio take care of publicity or marketing my work. As an indie, I have to do it all. I am fortunate to live in a time where technology affords me the opportunity to put my products out into the market place in a way that is more egalitarian. I don't need a huge marketing machine.

Of course there are risks. Most people will probably not purchase my film or my music even after enjoying it online. Some people will make a purchase because they enjoy the product so much, they want to obtain a higher resolution copy that they can enjoy anywhere. Again, they can't make a decision if they have never been exposed to my work. All I can do is share.

When I create something and share it, I do it for the love of being able to express myself. Profit motive is there somewhere...I have to make a living after all. My experience has shown me that if I express myself as much as my gifts allow and share, my creative gifts will sustain me both spiritually and materially. It is a lesson that many artists and their attorneys have a hard time learning. RR

No comments: