Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Flute circle controversies

I have been reading emails from Native American Flute (NAF) players and makers concerning a flute circle that is experiencing power struggles and an attempted takeover of the organization. Even lawyers are involved. All of this is truly unfortunate. It is a sad reality that not everyone out there that is playing NAF has the best of intentions. I have met some truly wonderful, loving people who play the NAF and I have also met some that make me question the role that it plays in their lives. This is really nothing new. One of my friends was essentially booted out of the flute circle that she founded and spent much of her time nurturing because other members did not like the way she tried to keep the commercial motive separate from the circle's more educational and philanthropic mission. A sad state of affairs. More often than not, I find friction in circles coming down to either the power motive or the profit motive or a mixture of the two.

NAF can be a life changing instrument. I know it has changed mine in very profound ways that have all been good. I say that because I am happy and the people around me all seem to have very good feelings toward me because of my flute way and the way I walk the straight road. I am sure many NAF players can attest to its positive influence in their lives. If some some players are honest with themselves, they might have to admit that they use the flute rather than the flute using them! That is where folks can get into trouble. As a good teacher once said, "Repent, walk the straight road!". It's not too late. May the flute use us for good in our lives and the live's of others. The Creator of all things wants to make us a hollow bone so that He may play a good song with us. The flute and the drum are great gifts to us. We have to respect them and each other. My two cents... RR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ronald, where you have people gathered togehter you have the potential for problems. Let's hope they can all turn this into a growth experience and that harmony is restored to the circle. Check out my website at www.atflutes.com John S