Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Microphones and other thoughts

I thought I would jot down some thoughts concerning microphones since I am starting to record the new album. I use an AKG C419 wind instrument microphone for performance. It clips on to the bird just right and has a gooseneck which allows for adjustment of distance to the soundhole. It also has a built in vibration dampening system and a foam windscreen. I have used these microphones for at least ten years and own several for back up purposes. I have learned that AKG is discontinuing this mic and is replacing it with their new C519 line. The C519 is less expensive but may not be as responsive. I might get one just to try it out. The AKG C419 now lists at $300 at most online music stores. I think the C519 lists for about $175.

I am recording my next album with a Rode NT1-A microphone. This mic is said to be one of the quietest out there and for the price it is hard to beat. I wouldn't be using it if I didn't like it. I am also using an SE Reflexion filter which is a device that is used to help screen the microphone from stray ambient noise in the room. The microphone is placed in the sweet spot of the concave shaped filter. Used with a simple sound deadening backdrop like a comforter or douvet, you can record in a home studio in the same room as the computer you are using as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I'm kind of amazed. It beats putting that ugly acoustic wall treatment all over my studio. That wouldn't work anyway as I live in a Pueblo style home with large wooden beams on the ceiling and lots of windows to let in the sun. Who wants to mess that up?

On another note: Want to hear something powerful? An audience member came up to me after my Hotel Santa Fe performance on Saturday night and said "Your flute music made me feel like a warm blanket of love was covering me on a cold night!" Flute music and love for all the Creator's creation seem to go together in a way that I can only call miraculous. RR

No comments: