Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Making of the Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd



A behind the scenes look at the making of this classic album. I have listened to this album hundreds of times over the course of my life. It ranks in my personal top five. This film gives a behind the scenes look from the artists' perspectives on its creation. I especially enjoy the way the band and engineer (Alan Parsons) explain the recording process using the equipment available to them back in the 1970's. It's great to see Alan Parsons working with the original masters to mix the sounds that were produced. Rather than taking away the mystery, this film adds to the enjoyment of listening to the finished work. At the end, David Gilmour speaks about how he wishes he could have heard the album for the first time with fresh ears like millions of other first time listeners but couldn't because he was involved in its creation. I remember the first time I ever heard this album like it was just yesterday. Recordings like "Dark Side of the Moon" are timeless for that very reason. If you are a Pink Floyd fan, I hope you will enjoy this post and if you are not...you really should be! RR

No comments: