Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Yma Sumac from 'Secret of the Incas'

This is a clip of the great Peruvian singer, Yma Sumac from the movie 'Secret of the Incas" starring Charlton Heston (the original Indiana Jones).
I used to listen to Senora Sumac when I was a boy. My father thought she was the greatest female singer of all time. I agree with him. She had a nearly five octave range! She had an amazing amount of control. I identified with her because she was mixed Spanish and Indian like me and she enjoyed making music that expressed her heritage. I still listen to her music for inspiration. I admire her talents, skill and sensitivity. I will always be an Yma Sumac fan! RR

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you should have a look at :
http://www.deltamusic.co.uk/cd-product-details.php?delta_product_id=1695&delta_search=yma&type=

it's a new Yma Sumac CD!!

James Byrne said...

This is one of the scenes that blew my mind when watching SECRET OF THE INCAS on its re-release back in 1963. Yma Sumac was an exotic mystery from the land of the Incas, and this is the only movie that exhibited her great talent and enigmatic personality. I should add that Charlton Heston was the inspiration for Indiana Jones in SECRET OF THE INCAS also. Wonderful movie.