Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mario Lanza - Nessun Dorma

'Nessun Dorma' by Puccini is one of my favorite operatic pieces. My Dad had some records by Mario Lanza and I enjoyed listening to them when I was a boy. This song just captured my imagination. I didn't know the words as they were in Italian but it didn't matter because the song was so strong and Mario Lanza's performance was so emotional. I still enjoy listening to his recordings.

Music is a balm for me and I never really know what kind of music works for me from day to day. I make my living performing classical guitar and native flute but I enjoy listening to a great variety of music. My only requirement is that it be good and that it touches me on some level. Of course that is a very subjective measure but musical taste is a very personal attribute. Over the years, I have developed my musical sensitivities and I certainly know what I like. I am always open to new possibilities but I have a lifetime of listening as a reference. I have learned that I am not easily swayed by mass media and I tend to be disappointed by popular culture.

I hope you enjoy 'Nessun Dorma' as much as I have. Here's an idea...borrow your parents' record collection for awhile and see what happens! RR

No comments: