Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

JOHN COLTRANE - MILES DAVIS - SO WHAT - LIVE



This dates from April 1959 but it is as hip now as it was then. These guys were way ahead of their time. I remember when I first heard them both. I was only 15 or 16 at the time. It was in a used record store and the owner was playing one of their records. I asked about the recording and the owner proceeded to spend the afternoon playing Coltrane and Davis records for me. I thought their music was just the coolest thing I had ever heard. I have collected many Miles Davis and John Coltrane albums over the years. I like this number because it is very accessible yet very hip. Some of their stuff is way out there but this is right in the pocket. By the way, the record store owner is still one of my oldest and dearest friends! RR

No comments: