Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jeff Kashiwa playing the Akai EWI4000s

I recently acquired an EWI and am looking forward to developing some repertoire with it. I have a physical problem with my lip which prevents me from playing sax or clarinet or trumpet. I enjoy the Native Flute because it doesn't require me to have a highly developed lip formation (emboucher). Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a pentatonic scale which makes it impossible to play jazz standards. The EWI will now make it possible for me to play my favorite jazz works on a wind instrument. It opens up a whole new world of musical possibilities. Because it is a synthesizer, the EWI can mimic the sounds of a variety of woodwinds and brass. It's a lot of fun and is really very versatile. It's different from the Native Flute but my skills are transferable to the EWI. Technology can be so cool! RR

No comments: