Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Friday, June 26, 2009

John Denver - "The Eagle and the Hawk"

The first time I ever heard this song was on my Dad's truck radio. I was only 12 years old. We were on our way to gather firewood and it was a cold, but beautiful, day. It had snowed the day before so everything was covered with white. Earlier, we had scared up a huge herd of mule deer...over 50 head. We could see a layer of steam above them as the breath from their nostrils warmed the air. The song started and we stopped to listen and watch. We just stayed for awhile, neither of us talking. I could tell that my Dad had to regain his composure. Later that morning, as we crested a hill, we scared an owl who dropped a fresh kill of cottontail rabbit at our feet. My eyes were as big as saucers! I still remember that day as though it were yesterday. This song brings it all back. Good songs do that kind of thing...

No comments: