Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Monday, August 3, 2009

John Denver - I Guess He'd Rather Be in Colorado

I've been very homesick about Colorado the last few days. I have lived in New Mexico for 12 years but I was born and raised in Colorado. Don't get me wrong...I really like New Mexico and there are things I can do here that I could never do in Colorado. There are no NDN Pueblos in Colorado. I could never make a decent living as a performer in Colorado. My ancestors left New Mexico in order to make a living in Colorado. I ended up doing the opposite.

I miss Colorado because of the enormity of the mountains. The beauty of the alpine meadows is hard to describe. The numerous streams and lakes filled with fish found throughout the state can keep a fisherman busy for a lifetime. The state seems to be designed for outdoor recreation of all sorts.

I used to listen to this song often when I was attending Theological Seminary in the early 80s in southern Indiana. My classmates could tell that I was homesick when they could hear this song playing in my room. It was hard to be away from Colorado and most of my family and friends sometimes. It still is. RR

No comments: