Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Wedding season is coming

Most of my day was spent with business tasks. Lots of emails to wedding and event planners. The Winter is usually a pretty quiet time when it comes to booking. Things pick up after Valentine's Day. I'm always amazed at how many couples wait until the last couple of months to plan their weddings.

I like to play at wedding ceremonies because they are challenging. Many of the wedding ceremonies I have performed at have been very free in nature. Many couples leave it to my discretion as to what to play because they are not acquainted with the Native American Flute repertoire or the Classical Guitar repertoire. They might mention a piece from one of my recordings but more often than not, they leave the selection to me. I can't tell you the number of times that I have been informed of the liturgy only minutes before the ceremony. I have to be very flexible and attentive and intimately acquainted with my pieces so that I know which song will work best at any given point in the ceremony. Couples have even asked me to just play what I want when I think it is most appropriate during a ceremony. This is a great trust that I do not take lightly. I always try to do my best to help the couple and their guests enjoy this very important and joyful time and in this way my Creator's gift to me becomes my gift to them.

It's great to be a musician. I'll tell more about it later. RR

No comments: