Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Getting things done

The weather got real stupid the past few days here in Santa Fe. I was sad to hear that the system which dumped so much snow in Northern New Mexico moved into the east and caused nearly fifty deaths from tornadoes. Betty and I live just on the southern tip of the Sangre de Christo mountain range. We didn't get lots of snow but we had very icy driving conditions. I had to drive Betty to work the last couple of days and with having to drive into town for business in the evenings, I ended up driving over three hours a day. That put a dent in my production schedule. Oh well, these things happen.

I spent yesterday trying to switch out memory from an older computer into a new one and found out after all that work that the RAM just wasn't compatible. More time wasted.

I find that I just don't have enough hours in the day to accomplish all the things that I want to do. Again, my biggest challenge is to stay in the creative spirit while taking care of the mundane tasks that rise up every day. Prioritizing has to be the greatest discipline I undertake everyday. I have a big whiteboard right over my studio's office computer. As tasks present themselves, I prioritize them and write them down. Since I can see the whiteboard from every angle in my studio, I can't ignore the tasks I need to accomplish. As I accomplish them, I erase them to make more room for more tasks as they come up. I have used this system for years and I have found this to be the best way to get everything done.

Writing down a 'to do' list is a great way to stay creative. Since the task is written down, I don't have to think about forgetting it. In this way, my mind is less cluttered and I can stay focused on creative thinking. It works for me...it might work for you! RR

No comments: