Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Black Whistle Singers in Crow Agency Montana



I had a cassette tape by Black Whistle with this song on it. I listened to it so much that I wore it out. I was glad to find it on YouTube. This is a really fine example of a Pow Wow Grand Entry Song. A Pow Wow drum has such a depth to it. It has a way of reaching deep inside a person. Black Whistle is a northern style singing group and so their voices are much higher than a southern style singing group. I have always enjoyed the northern style because it seems to be so much more exuberant! Sometimes the young men pinch their throats to get into the higher registers. When I used to drum with a northern style group, we took Osha, an herbal root, to numb and relax our throats for the high singing to follow. Good times! RR

No comments: