Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Future of Recorded Music



In this video, Wallace Collins, an entertainment attorney based in New York, discusses the generational shift that has taken place that divides CD-buyers from downloaders. He also draws parallels between today and the early days of rock-and-roll in which singles drove the music business. He also shares his thoughts on whether downloading -- legal or otherwise -- will cut deeply enough into the major labels' bottom line to cause them to abandon the business entirely, and whether the "democratization" of music will affect the quality of music that's available.

As an independent recording artist, my livelihood is based on fans buying my music. Notice that I said "buying" not "listening". It's a real ego boost to read email from people who tell me that they love my music but in reality it doesn't pay the bills. If every person who messaged me with their kudos actually ordered my music, I would be doing pretty well. Most people who listen to my music regularly online for free just don't order. That's the reality. I don't have a huge marketing budget like a major label does so I post my music online through MySpace and YouTube so that I can get it out there. If people never hear my music, they can't make an informed decision about whether to buy. It's a gamble but I really don't have a choice. I like to share but at some point I can't help but feel like listeners are taking advantage of the situation.

If musicians can't make a decent living from their music, we can't be faulted for deciding to do something else with our time so that we can make a living. Time spent away from the creative process means less artful music. If I am working at something else to make my living, I have less time to compose and practice and record. It means that there is less good music in the world and the downward spiral into musical mediocrity becomes the norm. I know lots of talented musicians that have just given up. I know even more that are just barely hanging on. We want to keep creating good music but the demands of life are just too great. Every time a gifted musician decides to walk away from their career, the world becomes just a little darker. You can help light up the world by supporting your favorite independent musical artists. If it happens to be me...thanks for your support! RR

No comments: