Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Am Joaquin - A poem by Rodolfo "Corky" Gonzales



When I was in high school in Southern Colorado during the mid-70's I recited this poem from memory in 'Interpetation of Poetry' competitions on my school's Forensic team. I went as far as state finals with it. It changed my life. Studying this poem and the history behind it as part of my preparation opened my eyes to the understanding that I was part of 'La Raza Cosmica'. Over 30 years later I look back and see how important this poem was to me as a young man who was unsure of his worth to society.

I have stated in earlier posts that I am a Mestizo, meaning a person of mixed Indian and Spanish blood. The Chicano movement of my youth was the political expression of the identity crisis resulting from that mixture. This poem helped me to understand that Mestizos had an important history as well as an important role to play in the present day. It changed the way that I looked at myself and the society around me. My pride in my culture translated into taking pride in myself and what I had to offer the world. It started with this poem... RR

No comments: