Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Don Greene, Ph.D. - Performance Anxiety

Performance anxiety is a real challenge for many if not most musicians. I experience it before I go on the concert stage. Once I start playing and settle down I feel great but the ten or fifteen minutes before showtime can be difficult. Flute performance is a breeze but guitar performance is the test. If my wife is handy, I ask her to hang out with me so we can just talk while I warm up my hands. If she's not there, I will often ask someone I know in the audience to be with me for a little while. This gives me a chance to focus on something other than the clock.

I know lots of musicians who have given up on concert performances because the anxiety is just too overwhelming. I have never gone that far although I totally understand the sentiment. I find that the trick is preparation which builds confidence. I can then lose myself in beautiful music and that is where the best performances seem to be found.

Hey...if it was easy, everyone would be a performer! RR

No comments: