Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Glenn Gould on Recording - Yehudi Menuhin Music of Man

This is a fascinating dialogue between two great masters of the 20th Century. The act of recording is very different from the act of concert performance. Listening to these two discuss the differences was very enlightening for me. I am a recording artist as well as a performance artist. There are aspects of both that I enjoy and disdain. I identify with both of these masters' viewpoints on the subject. Recording can be a very intense experience where the number of small details can be very overwhelming during the process. I look forward to the end of the recording process so that I can share my work with other people. Performance is also an intense experience because of the anxiety that it can induce. Again, sharing my performance is the payoff. In my perfect world, I would probably do neither and just spend my time learning and practicing Bach!

A personal observation...can you imagine what Glenn Gould would have done with today's digital recording technology? RR

No comments: