Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Busy Friday Night

After I finished my regular gig at La Posada de Santa Fe, I went to the Coyote Cafe to perform for a private party. The hardest part of the gig was hauling my equipment to the building's second story where the party was held. I often think that I actually get paid to haul around my equipment because the playing is what it is....playing! It's the hauling that is hard work!

After the Coyote gig, I went down the street to check out a coffee house that has a Native Flute jam on the weekends. I hardly ever get to see other musicians play because I am performing when they are. Weekend nights are when I work consistently. I have found that other pro-musicians have the same problem. Anyway, it was nice to hear other flute players and I was asked to perform a couple of songs which were well received. I met some nice people and some flute aficionados. I wish I could do this more. After Valentine's Day, my season starts at the Hotel Santa Fe and I won't be able to get away on weekend nights.

As a solo musician, I don't often get a chance to jam with others. Solo musicianship is a solitary activity by definition. I am well suited for it as I am fed by solitude. It has its drawbacks however. Everything seems to have two sides. I am glad to have taken the opportunity do something a little different tonite. RR

No comments: