Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Getting motivated!

I have posted this presentation by motivational speaker Tony Robbins because I thought readers might enjoy his thoughts on the underlying motives behind achievement. Back in the day, I was a very timid person when it came to thinking of myself as a successful person. It took alot of 'reprogramming' on my part to start changing my thought patterns in a way that might lead me to a successful career in the music business. Along the way I have met alot of musicians that seem to have a difficult time breaking their own chains of negative thought. I try to help with an encouraging word or some advice because I want all musicians to be successful.

In the final analysis, it takes alot of work to dig yourself out of a hole of negative thinking. Most musicians don't want to expend effort in that direction although my experience tells me that next to practicing good music, the practice of positive attitude ranks next in importance in the building of a successful musical career. An old jazz player once remarked to me, "You know Ron, making a living as a musician is the hardest way there is to make an easy buck!" It can feel like that way sometimes because the music business is full of pitfalls, blind alleys and rejection. I have long felt that the music business is about the survival of the persistent and the determined. That's the way it has worked out for me. I just refused to give up! RR

No comments: