Welcome To The Creative Act

A pro-musician making sense of the creative process within the context of his life experience.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Daliah Lavi - Erev Shel Shoshanim - Evening of Roses

Daliah Lavi sings the popular poetic Hebrew love song "Erev Shel Shoshanim" (Evening of roses). This is such a beautiful traditional Jewish wedding song. I look forward to performing it on guitar for my Jewish wedding clients. I have included the lyrics below. I hope you will agree that a more touching song for lovers would be hard to find.

Phonetic Hebrew:

Erev shel shoshanim
Nitzeh na el habustan
Mor besamim ulevona
Leraglech miftan.

Layla yored le'at
Veru'ach shoshan noshvah
Havah elchash lach shir balat
Zemer shel ahava

Shachar homa yonah
Roshech maleh t'lalim
Pich el haboker shoshana
Ekte fechenuli.

English Translation:

It is an evening of roses
Let us go out to the garden
Myrrh, Spices, and Frankincense
Are as a carpet under your feet

REPEAT X 2
Night falls slowly
And a wind of roses blows
I'll whisper a ballad song for you
A song of love

Dawn and the dove coos
Your hair is full of dewdrops
Your lips are as roses unto the morning
I will pick them for myself

REPEAT X 2
Night falls slowly
And a wind of roses blows
I'll whisper a soft song for you
A song of pure love

No comments: